This split pea soup recipe is perfect for a busy day — just set it up in the crock pot in the morning and then forget all about it until dinner time.
- 1lb split peas
- 3 carrots, sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the split and discard any discolored beans.
- Layer the peas in the bottom of a crock pot.
- Place carrots, celery, and onion, and garlic on top of peas.
- Cover peas and vegetables with stock. (It should come about 1/2 inch above the ingredients. If there isn’t enough stock to cover the vegetables, add water.)
- Add bay leaves to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low all day.
- When ready to serve, remove bay leaves. Add water if needed.
- Optionally, use an immersion blender to blend soup; otherwise, just stir until ingredients are mixed well.
- Serve warm with a salad and bread.