This version of a Greek classic cheats by using prepackaged puffed pastry instead of filo dough. The end result may not have the same delicate, flaky texture of traditional spinach pie, but it’s a lot easier to make.
- 2lb spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 package puffed pastry
- 1lb cottage cheese
- 2 cup feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbls flour
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Lightly steam chopped spinach (there’s a lot, so do it in batches).
- Saute onion in oil, then add garlic, oregano, and basil; salt and pepper to taste. When onion is cooked remove and reserve onion and garlic. Use the remaining oil to grease a 9x13x2 baking dish.
- Drain the cottage cheese and mix with the feta cheese, eggs, garlic and onion. Add flour as needed to keep the mixture dry.
- Roll out the puffed pastry sheets and place one in the bottom of the baking dish. Mix spinach and cheeses and spoon into the dish.
- Lay the second pastry sheet on top and tuck in, brushing with the remaining oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.