I love Lenten soups. They tend to be easy to make and a crowd pleasure for at least 75% of our kids. This soup is no exception. Using the crockpot means a little invest of time in the morning pays dividends when dinner is ready in the evening. And the use of a rich, flavorful pesto elevates this soup to something the kids love.
- Two carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 tbls basil pesto
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 cup small pasta (macaroni, orzo, etc.)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Toss the carrots, potatoes, and onions in olive oil and put in slow cooker.
- Add 5 cups water, tomatoes, 2 tbls pesto, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook 6-8 hours on high.
- Add beans, pasta and remaining pesto. Continue cooking until pasta is cooked (about 10 minutes).
- Serve immediately, topped with Parmesan cheese.