This is probably my most favorite soup recipe, ever. It’s simple, easy, and really tasty on a cold, Lenten Friday night. If you’re feeling particularly adventurous, add a cup of crab meat and/or shrimp with the potatoes.
- 2 Tbls butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup dark ale (I like to use Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 potatoes, cubed to ½ inch
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ¼ tsp pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- In a dutch oven melt butter. Add vegetables (except potatoes) and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour and mustard; cook 1 minute.
- Add stock and cook until bubbly.
- Add beer, cream, and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are tender (10-12 minutes).
- Slowly whisk in cheeses until melted, then add pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Serve with crusty rolls and a salad.